AOMA Blog

Alumni Spotlight: Tio Bustillo

Posted by Rob Davidson on Wed, Mar 28, 2018 @ 12:42 PM

Alumni Spotlight Tio Bustillo.png

Tio Bustillo, LAc, graduated from AOMA’s Master’s program in 2011 and currently is enrolled in the Doctoral program. Since graduating, Tio has been a big part of the movement to incorporate Chinese medicine into the Western healthcare system. Tio was hired to join the Integrative Medicine Department at Baylor Scott & White Healthcare, one of Texas’ largest non-profit healthcare systems. Through this position, he has been able to collaborate and work with some of the leading physicians and medical specialists in Texas. Tio is leading the charge to create even more new jobs for acupuncturists in the hospital system and also helping to provide substantial and meaning research for Chinese medicine.

Below is a brief interview with Tio:

What made you decide to study acupuncture and Chinese medicine?

Truthfully, it was never on my radar. I didn’t know what I was getting into when I started. One day I was walking into Half-Price Books searching for several fitness references. While I was thumbing through a book I heard a ‘thud’ behind me. A random book had fallen off the shelf. I figured it was meant to be, so I purchased it for $7.98, plus tax. It was The Web That Has No Weaver. I went to a local coffee shop and started to read a little. Soon after, I visited AOMA and was enrolled the following week. Years later, I am still learning and practicing.

What are some of your top accomplishments since graduating?

One of my top accomplishments is being part of the Integrative Medicine Department of Baylor Scott & White Healthcare, one of Texas’ largest non-profit healthcare systems. I have been able to collaborate and work with some of the leading physicians & specialist in Texas. I feel like I am truly integrating Eastern & Western medicine and proving that it is possible. Even more helping my industry by creating more jobs and awareness in the medical community.

Why did you chose to continue on with doctoral studies at AOMA?

I decided to do the doctoral program because I feel like this will give me the credentials needed to create a strong and successful integrative medicine department within a large healthcare system. Even more, learning new methods and treatment strategies is something that I feel one has to do in order to become a well-rounded practitioner.

What did your AOMA education mean to you/prepare you for?

“One of the most impactful lessons that I learned during my time at AOMA was self-reflection and self-transformation.” – Tio Bustillo

I think AOMA gave me a strong foundation to become a Doctor of Acupuncture & Chinese medicine. This allows me to grow in any direction. One of the most impactful lessons that I learned during my time at AOMA was self-reflection and self-transformation. Your limits are truly tested, but there is personal growth that you don’t expect to happen. In the end this transformation makes someone a better health care provider.

What is your vision for your career moving forward?

I see myself being a leader in the Integrative Medicine Department at Baylor Scott & White Healthcare creating new jobs for my industry and providing substantial research for Chinese Medicine. 

What advice would you give to recent graduates about to enter the field professionally?

Your journey as a health care provider is not over. It just started. My advice is to find someone who you admire as a practitioner and learn as much as you can. Then practice what you have learned. Secondly, treat as many patients as you can. There is a big difference between theory and clinical experience. Lastly, become comfortable with Western medicine principles because you need to evolve as a practitioner and with the industry standards.

AOMA is celebrating its 25th anniversary in 2018. What is your fondest memory of your studies here?

My fondest memory of AOMA was when I first walked into the AOMA store at the North campus. It used to be near the front parking lot where the dermatology clinic is currently located. I walked in as a first year student and headed towards the back of the store where they kept all the herbs. The smell of was over powering to the senses. I stood there looking up, then down, across and back. I was excited that I was going to know each and every one of these herbs and how they affect the body. I am still amazed that I learned and retained so much information about herbal pharmacology. Happy Anniversary to my friends and family at AOMA!

For other AOMA alumni stories, click here: AOMA Alumni Stories

Learn more about the Master's Program at AOMA:

Download Guide to Career in Traditional Chinese Medicine

Topics: alumni, alumni spotlight

Stay in touch

Get our blog in your inbox!

Subscribe below to receive instant, weekly, or monthly blog updates directly to your email inbox.

Subscribe to Email Updates

Recent Posts

Posts by Topic

see all